So I had the vague idea (from asking the internet) of Spaghetti carbonara with home made garlic bread".
To begin with the garlic bread. I was hungry and the quickest bread to make is also the most flat, so thats what I went for. Mix white bread flour, olive oil and some water, along with a few finely chopped cloves of garlic.
Back to the bread, by now I had an idea of how to put this together and this required thin round container sized bits of bread. I made of few of these little round flat breads, squashing them flat within the container to get the size right.
Next some courgettes cut into thin rings, and warmed in the oven with a little oil. The reason is given below.
Next make the risotto as usual, although aim to make it as thick as possible. I used tuna, some peas, a vegetable stock cube risotto rice and the aforementioned onion an mead. Whilst you're during this pan fry the flat breads for a minute or two each side.
Now beat together a couple of eggs and you have all the components required for the garlic flat-bread and tuna risotto bake.Once the risotto has cooled enough stir in the eggs, then the assembly phase begins.
Put a flat bread in the container.
Put some risotto on the bread, which is in the container.
Put some of the oven warmed courgettes on the risotto which is on the bread which is in the container. Repeat this process until the container is full or you run out of stuff to put in in.
Put the bake in the oven and by using a process known as baking cook the whole thing in the hope that the eggs will make is all set properly, and you should get something like what I've shown below.
Finally scoop some of this out and it'll fall apart on the plate like some inelegant mush.
Remarks
The garlic flat breads worked well, both as themselves and within the bake. Tuna and mead risotto worked better than it had any right to, although probably because the tuna somewhat over powered all the other tastes. The courgettes were OK, they didn't add much other than one of the 5 a day though. The bake didn't stick together into some kind of bready lasagna as I'd hopped, maybe more eggs would have helped, although I'd be inclined so add layers of cheese to cover the binding.
I'm tempted to try something like this again but with chicken instead of tuna and the addition of mozzarella cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment