Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Chocolate Roast Chicken Jambalaya

So I bought a chicken and thought I should try and do it in a kind of Mexican style with rice. Then I decided to do it all together to see if it'd work... the results are as follows;


  1. What makes food Mexican? To me chilies, cumin and chocolate. I added some garlic, two chilies, some cumin seeds, a table spoon of cocoa and some extra chili flakes along with some oil. WARNING- this makes chilies exploded splattering your shirt with oily chocolate. You should prick the chilies or something I guess.
  2. Now you peel the garlic and put it, along with the rest of the stuff, into a pestle and mortar to be ground up. I added some extra ground coriander seed and paprika at this stage.
  3. Now shove half an onion in a chicken and massage the chili chocolate paste into the skin of the chicken. This is probably the creepiest step... it gets better.
  4. Add the chicken to to pan along with some water and white wine vinegar and lime juice to make a simple stock. Cover the chicken with some foil and chuck in the oven.
  5. Now to start on the rice. I used all the risotto rice I had left, a pepper, an onion and 3 mushrooms. I fried this in a generous glug of olive oil for a couple of minutes before adding any water.
  6. Add water and cook until the rice starts becoming soft- not copletly done
  7. Now after the chicken has been roasting for about 20 minutes add the rice into the pan with the chicken and spread around evenly. Baste the chicken with any excess fluid. If you do not have any add some extra water. Recover with foil and add back to the oven.
  8. Every 15 minutes or so check this in the oven, baste and add about 1/3 a mug of water- you don't want the rice to be dry yet.
  9. After a few repetitions the chicken starts looking like its being done. Stab in with a knife to see if its done. If it is, or near is, add a little more water and then put in the oven at a slightly lower temperature for about 20 minutes more.

  10. When it is finished add about a quarter of the rice along with about a quarter of the chicken to a plate. Eating usually follows.

    Review
    This did not quite come out as I expected - the Mexican flavours were not as strong as I'd hoped- I guess the chicken should have been marinaded in the fridge in the paste for several hours and maybe some extra paste should have been added to the rice.  
    However the chicken came out very tender, better than dry roasting, and the peppers in particular worked very well. I'd probably be simpler and just as effective to put a normal risotto in the oven to get these benifits.

No comments:

Post a Comment