Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Rainbow over the paddy field (Deconstructed blueberry pork stir-fry)

I decided I hadn't put much effort into presentation in the previous posts, so I've decided to correct this, with a dish that includes all of your 5 a day and took me less than an hour to make.
Also as requested I've gone for a more experimental name.

Ingredients

  • Blueberries
  • Pork
  • Honey
  • White wine vinegar
  • Pork
  • Carrots
  • Baby Sweetcorn
  • Mange tout
  • Rice noodles
  • Red Cabbage
  • Ginger Beer
  • A red pepper

  1. Put the blueberries, some honey and quite a lot of vinegar in a pan and put on a medium heat.
  2. Cut some carrots into thin slices and put in a pan with ginger beer, just as if you were cooking with water, but keep this  on a low boil for quite a long time... half an hour or so I guess.
  3. Chop some red cabbage along with some garlic and a chili.
  4. I have a habbit of over-doing pork and making it chewy- the best techinque I've come up with is to partly fry the pork in a pan until the surface and then add this to the sauce to finish cooking. At this stage I add some 5-spice and more wine vinegar to the mix.
  5. Prepare the rest of the vegetables to be stir fried one kind at a time.
  6. Once fried start arranging in concentric semi-circles on the plate. I wasn't that good at this bit. With luck you'll have timed it right so that  the carrots and blueberry pork is also ready to be added.
     
  7. Now quickly fry the rice noodles and add to the lower half of the plate. I kept the plates with food in the oven on a low heat at this stage.

  8. Finally for added fanciness serve with left over blueberry sauce and carrot ginger beer and eat with chop sticks.


    Review
    Firstly my artistic skills are lacking -  poor blurry photos, only a vague rainbow shape and it turns out blueberries aren't very blue. Still at times it did look awesome and I don't think anyone will have had this meal before. The elements tasted good, I can see myself doing blueberry pork again but if so I'd probably do it as part of a standard stir fry- the separation of elements here left some parts of the meal tasting slightly bland. I'm gonna need a sous chef to look after the presentation (and photography) if I try this again. 

    BTW I'm more likely to write these blogs if I think people are reading, so comment, post, tweet whatever if you want more. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy rainbow Uncle Ross! Please can we do experimental cooking together when you come to see me? I'll be your sous chef! Love from Jake xxx

    ReplyDelete