- Boil some new potatoes. Nothing smart here.
- I had some crusty bread rolls that had gone hard over the past 3 weeks. These were destroyed into read crumbs using a rolling pin.
- For the spiciness I used some caraway seeds, cinnamon, star anise, cardamon pods garlic a pinch of cloves and a little oil. I heated this in a pan until the first pod popped. Then I emptied out about half the pods and peeled the garlic before grinding it all in the pestle and mortar.
- Next I sweated an onion for about 15 mins before adding a pepper, some balsamic vinegar and some sugar and then kept cooking this on a medium heat for about 10 more minutes.
- After they were boiled I was meant to crack the potatoes next. I smashed them. I added a little oil and a lot of mint and then chucked them in the oven.
- Next I added some mushrooms to the onions, and after about 30 seconds added the spice mix and the bread crumbs, taking the pan off the heat.
- I laid out 3 large slices of ham, added a layer of lettuce (I wanted this to be healthy) and a good blob of the mix from the pan to each. I then rolled up each ham slice with the contents inside.
- The 3 ham rolls were chucked in an oven dish thing, covered in the remaining mix and a little layer of cheese. This was then placed in the oven for about 5 mins.
- Once the potatoes were slightly crispy and the cheese was going brownish I took it out the oven and served.
- As a random special treat my housemate Gez had left me some profiteroles he'd made (white and dark chocolate). They were really good.
ReviewI think this meal worked better than it had any right to so I'm fairly pleased. The filling mixture was a little dry maybe... some tomato might be used to make it more liquidy, or to coat the whole thing in the dish enchilada style. Saying that the food did taste a little Christmassy, as I think with the cinnamon and cloves I was most of the way to making a mince pie. I'm glad I didn't go with chilies- I think they would have distracted from the taste of the ham. I would have like for the potatoes to have had come out crispier as well, but they tasted fine anyway.
The place for recording the weird stuff I try out when I'm cooking. Unlike most cooking blogs this isn't about recipes just about whether the ideas work or not following a loosely scientific approach.
Thursday, 12 September 2013
Spicy ham rolls with squashed potatoes
A proper 'ready steady cook!' dish this one. I had ham, potatoes and some vegetables, along with some very stale bread. This is what happened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment