Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Ross's pulled pork experiment

I decided I should actually do something a bit more experimenty. By that I mean I decided I'd try cooking basically the same meal in two different ways. That meal would be pulled pork. I went for a quick method and a slower method to see if I could tell the difference.

Quick pulled pork


  1. Spice rub- mix loads of paprika, smoked paprika, ground corriander, black pepper, ground mustard seeds, ground cumin, sugar and garlic together. 
  2. I coated two pork chops in this rub and but this in a the fridge for use with pulled pork attempt two on the next day.
  3. I wanted a wetter rub for the quick pork- so i added olive oil, tomato puree and white wine vinegar to the remaining spice mix (which was about half the total). I rubbed 3 skinny pork chops with this mix.
  4. Boiling some new potatoes, with mint and half a lemon,
  5. I chucked the pork in the oven(lowish temp) with some chopped spring onion, some white wine vinegar and a little water. 
  6. Salad. Contained some basil leaves but pretty standard otherwise. Unlike people salad is better dressed.
  7. Potato salad. Chop potatoes, mix in some chopped gherkin and whatever spice mix you have left.
  8. The pork looked like this (but less blurry) when I took it out the oven. I'd basted it a bit whilst cooking.

  9. The crucial pulling of the pork, tare the meat to shreds using two forks. Its fun to begin with but gets dull.
The assembled meal. On the sink because its the only surface I hadn't made a mess of.


Slower Pulled Pork

The next day...
  1. Take the two pork chops out the fridge and put in the oven with some white wine vinegar water and spring onions. I tried for some honey and mustard glaze but used the wrong jar and ended up coating this in honey and horse radish sauce. 

  2. Create some more spice rub because you ran out.
  3. Cook some tomatoes in in this spice with a little olive oil.
  4. Add in some mixed Mexican beans (they were in Asda and looked interesting) and a little tomato puree and you have something similar to baked beans.
  5. For some reason this pork comes out the oven a lot drier, maybe i didn't baste enough
  6. This should have been the pulling stage :( I chopped the pork up small instead and then mixed it in with the beans.
  7. Same salad. The potatoes I did strangely- I cut them in half and tried to pan fry in a little oil. After about 15 mins they were crispy on the outside and raw in the middle, so I shifted them to the oven. They look like roast potatoes but tasted liked baked.


    Review

    Firstly the quick method made pulled pork, the second didn't. Although I think this is more to do with how long I kept the meat in the oven and the temperature. Really I should be using a fatty join of meat not a steak anyway. The taste of both was good although not as strong as I'd hoped. I think if you do successfully manage to pull the pork a sticky spicy sauce of some kind should be added. The pork and beans were probably the best tasting, although I'm not overly convince by leaving the meat in the spice rub for 24 hours. I guess a proper marinade should be wetter. The crazy failed sauteed potatoes I made by accident were good, I'll use this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment