Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Kiwi and Aubergine Pasta

This one did not go as well as I'd hoped but I guess that is the risk of food experiments. I've worked out how to fix it as well.

Ingredients


  • Spaghetti
  • An Onion
  • Half an aubergine
  • A pepper
  • Two of those pepperami things 
  • Quark
  • Two kiwis
Method
  1. Sweat some onions. Chop them up small, add some oil, chuck in some garlic and leave covered on a low heat.
     
  2. Chop up pepper, sausage and aubergine, put in a pan with some oil and smoked paprika. Put this under the grill to cook.
  3. Once the onion is soft and transparent add some balsamic vinegar to add some flavour- if you add the vinegar too soon you boil the onion and make it rubbish.
  4. You should have the spaghetti cooking by now by the way. Now slice up the kiwis. I read on a kiwi packet you can replace tomatoes in salads with kiwi, so why not pasta was my thought.
  5. When the vinegar is sticky and you notice smoke coming from the grill everything is ready. Mix everything, along with about half a tub of Quark and you have food!


    Analysis

    This came out far too bitter, so I went through tasting each part and realized it was the aubergine that made things go wrong. I've heard bad things about aubergine but its never caused me a problem in the past, it did this time. Just remove it from the meal. The kiwi worked well, it even tried to counter the badness that was the aubergine. I'd say its worth trying out kiwi as a tomato alternative. The quark made a decent sauce in terms of texture and soaked up the flavour well, it's just a shame the flavour was aubergine bitterness.

2 comments:

  1. Ross, to remove the bitterness from the aubergine add salt to your chopped pieces and allow it to drain. The liquid that drains takes away a lot of that bitterness. Then just remove the excess salt with paper towel.
    Also how old was your aubergine? Fresher ones are less bitter.

    by the way this blog is great Rosco,

    - your friend jon in canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard that about aubergines(are they eggplants to you now?) before, but ignored it and its never caused me a problem in the past- I guess it must depend on how you cook them and this must be a bad way.It was fairly fresh. I had to scrap some stuff out the pan and that probably brought some burnt bitterness with it. I don't think the balsamic I used was good enough either- the cheap stuff is a little too sharp/acidic for food like this.

    ReplyDelete