Sunday, 18 August 2013

Onion and Sweetcorn fritters, with Fried Mozzarella Balls in a Tomato Sauce

I've not been shopping for a while so had limited supplies to choose from, so this meal is more like something from ready steady cook. I had sweetcorn, some mozzarella onions and tomatoes. I think I did well, and saved myself a trip to the shop to buy more items.
Method;

  1. So when frying stuff you'd usually use batter or bread crumbs. I went for both. Flour and milk mixed together made the batter, a baguette and a cheese grater made the crumbs (I added a little Parmesan as well).
  2. Now I needed something to fry. I'd left the batter quite thick, rolled some cubes of mozzarella in it, then rolled them in the bread crumbs. I then sliced an onion into thin strips and mixed it in with the rest of the batter along with the sweetcorn.
  3. So lots of fried stuff is great, but can be a little dry. So a basic sauce; 3 tomatoes, olive oil, basil, tomato puree, garlic, a little sugar, a chili and some water... low heat for as long as you can be bothered- you need the tomatoes to start reducing down.
  4. Now the fritter- get a frying pan, quite a lot of oil and a lot of heat. Put the onion mix it there, spread it out evenly. After about 5/10 mins I tried to flip it. I did this by sliding it out onto a plate, putting the pan over the fritter and flipping the pan/plate combo. I'd have taken a picture but my hands were full. Fry until crispy on the outside, soft in the middle.
  5. The process for frying the cheese balls was pretty similar- hot oil in a pan, chuck the balls in and then roll them around until golden brown.
  6. Put the mozzarella balls on the fritters. Not much to say here but the photo shows how everything should look.
  7. Once the sauce has reduced down a little you can add it to the top to create a complete meal

    Review

    I really liked this meal. I think using more than half a mozzarella ball would have helped here and maybe a slightly thinner fritter would have been better. Calling the fritter a mega-bhaji would have improved the whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment